As a professional locksmith, I have seen far too many homes with inadequate or outdated locks. Your home should be your sanctuary, but if your locks are not up to par, it can leave you feeling vulnerable and uneasy. To help ensure the safety and security of your home and loved ones, I’ve put together the ultimate guide to securing your home.
Assess Your Current Locks
The first step in securing your home is to assess your current locks. Take a walk around your property and check every door and window. Do they have locks? Are the locks in good condition? Are they easy to use? Do they provide adequate security?
If your locks are outdated, broken, or just not up to par, it’s time to upgrade. You can consult with a professional locksmith to determine the best commercial locks change for your business location, but in general, you should look for locks that are durable, pick-resistant, and tamper-proof.
Types of Locks
When it comes to choosing the right locks for your home, there are several types to consider.
- Deadbolts: Deadbolts are the most common type of lock used on exterior doors. They are durable, tamper-proof, and pick-resistant. They are available in single-cylinder and double-cylinder models. Single-cylinder deadbolts are operated with a key from the outside and a thumb turn on the inside, while double-cylinder deadbolts require a key to lock and unlock from both the inside and outside.
- Smart Locks: Smart locks are becoming increasingly popular among homeowners. These locks use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to connect to your smartphone or smart home system, allowing you to control your locks from anywhere. Some models also offer features like keyless entry, automatic locking, and remote access.
- Keyless Entry Locks: Keyless entry locks use a keypad or touchscreen to allow access to your home without a key. They are convenient, especially if you have kids or guests who need access to your home. They are also a good option if you frequently lose your keys.
- High-Security Locks: High-security locks are designed to provide maximum security against picking, drilling, and other forms of tampering. They are often used in commercial settings, but they can also be used in homes.
- Window Locks: Windows are often the weakest point of entry in a home. Window locks are a simple and effective way to secure your windows and prevent intruders from entering your home.
Once you’ve installed new locks, it’s important to maintain them properly to ensure they remain in good working condition.
- Lubrication: Locks require regular lubrication to keep them working smoothly. Use a graphite-based lubricant to lubricate the keyhole and moving parts of the lock.
- Cleanliness: Keep your locks clean by wiping them down with a dry cloth. Avoid using water or cleaning products, as they can damage the lock.
- Adjustments: Over time, locks may become misaligned or loose. If you notice that your locks are not working properly, call a professional locksmith to make the necessary adjustments.
- Rekeying: Rekeying your locks is an important security measure, especially if you’ve just moved into a new home or lost your keys. Rekeying involves changing the internal pins of the lock so that it can only be opened with a new key.
Home Security Tips
In addition to upgrading your locks and maintaining them properly, there are several other steps you can take to improve the security of your home.
- Install a Security System: A security system can provide an extra layer of protection for your home. It can include features like cameras, motion sensors, and alarms.
- Install Outdoor Lighting: Outdoor lighting can help deter intruders by making it more difficult for them to approach your home unnoticed. Motion-activated lights are a good option, as they will turn on when someone approaches your home.
- Secure Your Garage: Your garage can be a vulnerable point of entry if it’s not secured properly. Make sure your garage door has a reliable lock, and consider installing a deadbolt on the door that connects your garage to your home.
- Don’t Leave Spare Keys Outside: Many homeowners keep spare keys outside, such as under a doormat or in a flowerpot. This is a big security risk, as intruders know to check these common hiding spots. Instead, give a spare key to a trusted neighbor or family member.
- Keep Your Landscaping Maintained: Overgrown bushes and trees can provide cover for intruders. Keep your landscaping maintained to eliminate potential hiding spots.
- Use Your Blinds and Curtains: Don’t leave your blinds and curtains open, especially at night. This allows potential intruders to see inside your home and determine whether or not it’s worth attempting a break-in.
- Don’t Announce Your Absence: Don’t announce on social media or leave notes on your door that you’re away from home. This can alert potential intruders that your home is vulnerable.
- Install a Peephole or Video Doorbell: A peephole or video doorbell can provide added security by allowing you to see who is at your door before opening it. This can help you avoid letting in potential intruders.
- Use a Safe: If you have valuable items in your home, such as jewelry or cash, consider investing in a safe. This can help keep your valuables secure in the event of a break-in.
- Educate Your Family: Make sure everyone in your household understands the importance of home security and knows how to properly use the locks and security measures you have in place. This includes teaching children about the dangers of letting strangers into the home and how to use the alarm system if you have one.
By following these tips and consulting with a professional locksmith in Garner NC, you can take the necessary steps to secure your home and have peace of mind knowing that you’ve done everything you can to keep your family safe. Remember, home security is an on-going process, and it’s important to regularly assess and update your security measures to ensure they remain effective. With a little effort and investment, you can make your home a safe and secure sanctuary for you and your loved ones.
In conclusion, securing your home should be a top priority for every homeowner. Upgrading your locks, maintaining them properly, and taking additional security measures can help deter intruders and keep your home and loved ones safe. By following these tips from a professional locksmith near me, you can take the necessary steps to secure your home and have peace of mind knowing that you’ve taken every precaution to keep your family safe.